Our Historic Building
It is believed that the left side of the building was built around 1830, and was constructed using Rock Oak and Locust trees, as well as stones cut from local farms. The beam construction of the second floor seems to be of Swiss influence, with keystone-style notches reinforced with wooden pegs driven through the beams.
In the mid 1800's, Henry Imhoff started three distilleries using treadmills to bring water from the well at the Commons to his distilleries on South Street. It is likely that our building was used as a distillery during its early years.
By 1899, the property was owned by David W. Graybill and a four story brick and frame structure had been built. Our warehouse was one of three owned locally by Mr. Graybill, and was used in the large tobacco business that he operated. Mr. Graybill sold the building to John Hershey during the depression era for $5,000.
Upon Mr. Hershey's death, his widow sold the property to J. Freeland Chryst and his daughter Dana A. Chryst Dudek in 1972. The property was used in the catalog fulfillment and distribution business operated by The Jay Group.
In December 1996 the property was purchased by Alan and Carole Giagnocavo. Given the age of the building and its impressive original wood beams, the 20,500-square-foot structure is quite appropriate for a publisher of woodworking books and magazines.