Self-Sufficiency: Grow Your Own
This is a simple and systematic guide to growing a selection of the tastiest fruit and vegetables.
The aim of this book is to start you off with some easy-to-grow produce such as carrots, onions, radishes, tomatoes and strawberries. Once you have the confidence of the first growing season behind you, you can then progress to crops requiring slightly more labour, such as peas, beans and raspberries. When you grow your own produce, you can be absolutely sure that everything has been organically cared for and you can grow just the variety you like. You can pick the fruit and vegetables at their freshest without a tiresome journey to the supermarket. It's satisfying, it's economical and it's delicious.
The simple, systematic guide to growing the tastiest fruit and vegetables!
- Get started with consideration of allotments, containers, small spaces, tools, equipment, storage, and a quick start guide
- Learn the basics of soil types, how to cultivate it, how to keep plants well-fed and watered, composting, digging, and pH balance
- How to grow vegetables including cabbage, kale, Brussels sprouts, beans, peas, carrots, onions, beets, potatoes, lettuce, corn, chard, and more
- How to grow fruits including apples, pears, plums, cherries, peaches, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, currants, and gooseberries
- Pests and diseases like slugs, snails, aphids, mites, flies, weevils, mold, and mildew, and how to deal with them, including companion planting and biological control
- Greenhouse management from heating and equipment to plant production of greenhouse tomatoes and cucumbers